This Website Privacy Statement only applies to websites, webpages and electronic addresses operated, maintained or administered by DJPR under the domain name www.defence.vic.gov.au. It does not apply to any linked or other web spaces. If you register to use a mobile application which collects personal information, the terms and conditions associated with the application (if any) will govern how that personal information is managed.
This document explains how your personal information will be handled by DJPR when you access and interact with its web spaces including any service accessible through its web spaces that facilitates interactive information sharing.
DJPR recommends that you read any terms and conditions (including any privacy statement or policy) that apply to any web service, as any such terms and conditions relating to the handling of your personal information by the web service will prevail over this privacy statement to the extent of any inconsistency.
Collection of your personal information
The types of personal information that DJPR may collect through its web spaces include:
- your name, email address, telephone number, IP address and other contact or identification details
- the content of any online application, enquiry, submission, subscription, survey or complaint that you submit to any of its web spaces the content of any other solicited or unsolicited electronic communication that you send any registration information that you provide to use any web service which is accessible through any of its web spaces.
- the content of any comments that you post to, or otherwise make available on, any of its web spaces using any web service
- any other information that you provide to, or make available on, any of its web spaces
- metadata relating to any electronic communications that you send to any of DJPR’s web spaces (examples of metadata include your electronic address, time and date sent, time and date received, unique message identification, message type, message length, etc.).
DJPR relies upon you to ensure that any personal information that you provide to, or make available on, its web spaces is accurate, current, complete and relevant. DJPR also relies upon you to advise it of any changes to such personal information.
You can browse any of DJPR’s web spaces anonymously without disclosing any of your personal information to DJPR. However, if you do not provide any information requested on any of the DJPR’s web spaces for the provision of a service then DJPR may not be able to provide the service to you.
Collection of personal information about other persons
At or before the time that you provide to, or make available on, any of DJPR’s web spaces any personal information about another person, DJPR relies upon you to take reasonable steps to ensure that the person is aware:
- that such information will or has been provided to DJPR
- how the person can access his or her information
- the purposes for which the information was provided to DJPR
- to whom DJPR usually discloses information of that kind
- any law that requires the information to be provided to DJPR
*the main consequences (if any) for the person if all or part of the information is not provided to DJPR.
You are not required to make a person aware of the above matters where doing so would pose a serious threat to the life of any person or would involve the disclosure of information given in confidence.
Use and disclosure of personal information
DJPR will not use or disclose any personal information that it collects through any of its web spaces unless the use or disclosure is:
- for the primary purpose for which the information was collected
- required or authorised by law
- for any other purpose permitted under the PDP Act.
Subject to the requirements of the PDP Act, DJPR may need to disclose personal information which it collects through its web spaces to:
- the DJPR’s service providers which provide website, archival, auditing, professional advisory, banking, mail house, delivery, recruitment, call centre, technology, research, utility, security, electronic payment or application processing services or administrative support
- organisations acting on your behalf, for example your solicitor or interpreter. DJPR will not use any of your personal information that it collects through its web spaces to add you to a mailing list without your consent.
Information provided to web services
Any personal information which you provide to, or make available on, any of DJPR’s web spaces using any web service may be accessible to other users of the web service who are not officers, employees or contractors of DJPR and, if the web service is provided by a third party, the third party. Other users of, and third parties which provide such a web service, may use or disclose your personal information which you provide to, or make available using, the web service for any purpose including for the purpose of sending you unsolicited electronic communications. You acknowledge and agree that DJPR is not responsible for any such use or disclosure.
DJPR has implemented technology and security policies to protect the personal information which it collects through its web spaces. When accessing or using any of DJPR’s web spaces you should be aware that there are risks in transmitting information across the Internet. While DJPR strives to protect such information, it cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information transmitted over the Internet and you do so at your own risk. If you are concerned about providing sensitive information to DJPR over the Internet, you might prefer to contact DJPR by telephone or mail. DJPR uses SSL encryption where necessary to protect personal information which is provided to its web spaces for online transactions requiring such protection.
DJPR takes reasonable steps to protect personal information collected through its web spaces from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification and disclosure. DJPR will also take reasonable steps to remove personal information from its system where it is no longer required for the purpose for which it was collected or any other purpose (including archiving) which is permitted in accordance with the PDP Act.
Web statistics data collection
DJPR uses web analytics software to collect usage statistics for its web spaces.
This information is not used by DJPR to identify you or match your identity with any of your personal information.
The following non-personal information may be automatically recorded by the web server of any of DJPR’s web spaces for statistical and system administration purposes:
- your server address
- your top-level domain name (e.g. .com, .au, .gov)
- the date and the time of your visit to the site
- the pages you accessed and downloaded
- the address of the last site you visited
- your operating system
- the type of browser you are using.
To the extent that any clickstream data could make you identifiable, DJPR will not attempt to identify you from such clickstream data unless necessary for the investigation of unlawful activity or otherwise permitted under the PDP Act.
DJPR uses web beacons to record usage statistics for its web spaces. Web beacons are not used by DJPR to identify you or record any of your personal information.
Access and correction
To request access to, or correction of, any of your personal information held by DJPR, please contact us using the privacy contact details below to find out about access and correction procedures.
You can request access to your personal information directly without the need to make a formal application under the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Vic) [FOI Act]. However, there are situations where it will not be appropriate to provide such access, and you will be required to make a formal FOI request, for example, where providing access would compromise the privacy of another person.
For further information on making an FOI request, please contact:
Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions
GPO Box 2392
Melbourne, VIC, 3001, AUS
Tel: 1800 317 531
Privacy contact details
For further information about the handling of personal information by DJPR, please contact:
Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions
GPO Box 4509
Melbourne, VIC, 3001, AUS
DJPR may update this privacy statement from time to time. Any changes to this privacy statement will be published on this page.