Millie Keating is a respected advisor and leader within the defence sector, her experience encompassing government, consulting and commercial industry roles over more than 15 years.
Having spent her early career as a procurement professional within a family-owned manufacturing business, Millie transitioned to the Australian Public Service in 2010. Over the subsequent five years, Millie worked across multiple roles within the Department of Defence, developing her skills as a Project Manager and her understanding of Defence procurement and defence industry engagement.
As part of KPMG’s Defence & National Security team, Millie advised a broad range of defence and defence industry clients on matters relating to strategy, project planning and execution, strategic procurement and industrial strategy. In her capacity as an advisor to the Department of Defence, Millie was able to contribute to the development of a number of industrial policies and plans that shaped Australian Government priorities and investments over recent years.
Millie joined Hanwha Defense Australia in early 2020 as the company mobilised its corporate headquarters in Melbourne. Her contribution to business mobilisation, industrial strategy and pursuit of major Defence projects LAND8116 Protected Mobile Fires and LAND400-3 Infantry Fighting Vehicle (both of which were successful) was significant.
Today, Millie leads Fluor Mission Solutions’ expansion in Australia while also providing adhoc consulting support to Australian defence industry.
Millie’s experiences over more than a decade have enabled her to develop a deep and well-rounded understanding of Australia’s defence industry environment, and a unique appreciation for the challenges and opportunities the sector faces now, and into the future.
Millie is currently Fluor Mission Solutions’ Australian lead.
- Fluor Mission Solutions: Millie is a Director within Fluor Mission Solutions’ defence business and is leading the division’s expansion in Australia.
- Hanwha Defense Australia: having joined the company at its inception in Australia, Millie played a critical role in building the business, including establishing and leading the Industrial Development Unit (IDU). The IDU worked closely with Australian and Korean industry with the objective to identify work opportunities for Australian companies and to assist them in pursuing them, often with a focus on creating mutually beneficial partnerships with Korean businesses.
- KPMG Australia: Millie spent six years as a leader within KPMG’s Defence and Defence Industry team where she advised a broad range of clients on business strategy, operational reform, procurement and industrial policy.
- Defence Materiel Organisation: Millie held various project management and procurement roles within the Organisation during her 5 year tenure.
- Bachelor of Business Management (Marketing) from the University of Queensland
- Master of Commerce (Finance and Economics) from the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology. She also holds a Diploma in Project Management.
- Defence Council Victoria.